Maximize Your Mileage
Here are some quick and easy tips to get the most out of any vehicle:
- Plan ahead-combine several short trips in order to minimize cold engine starts.
- Accelerate at a moderate pace
- Monitor highway speed. Fuel economy suffers at about 65 mph and plummets above 70.
- Regularly check and maintain proper tire pressure.
- Don't carry unnecessary loads. Excess weight reduces fuel economy.
- Use the air conditioner and defroster only as needed; both reduce fuel economy.
Hybrid drivers can take these steps to maximize mileage, too:
- Monitor the flow of traffic to plan your moves well ahead. If traffic is slowing, use moderate early braking or coasting instead of hard braking.
- In slow-and-go traffic, accelerate to the desired speed, then lift off the throttle to maintain that speed under electric power. You may be able to sustain speeds in the 20-40 mph range without engaging the gasoline engine.