Grant Guidelines & Applications
TOYOTA USA FOUNDATION
Overview and Mission Statement
Since its founding in 1987, the Toyota USA Foundation has awarded more than $52 million to non-profit organizations in the United States.
The Foundation is committed to enhancing the quality of education by supporting innovative programs and building partnerships with organizations dedicated to improving the teaching and learning of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
We receive over 225 grant applications per cycle, and fund a limited number of grantees (generally 6%-9% of the number of received applications) who best meet our funding priorities and stand out in the pool of applications. In order to be considered for a grant, all interested candidates MUST follow our described process and start by filling out an online application and follow the listed process. We do not accept applications via email, fax, mail or in-person. Should you have an internal referral, please specify it in the online application.
In order to be eligible, organizations must be classified as a 501(c) (3) public charity by the Internal Revenue Service, be both located within the United States and have a national scope. Additionally, programs requesting funding must focus on education specifically in the areas of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
Effective July 1, 2014, there are new guidelines for organizations that have received a Toyota grant. The Foundation will not consider an organization for the same or new program until two years following the completion of the previously funded program.
Note: An online application provides us a brief snapshot of the program whereas the full proposal requires more extensive information on the program.
As part of the selection process, every online application is thoroughly reviewed, and a request for proposal is sent out to a shortlist of the most outstanding applications. The pool of proposals then undergoes a second, thorough review until a final decision is made by the Board of Directors of the Foundation on the exceptional proposals to include in the final shortlist. In order to select the best candidates from the pool of applications, the Foundation considers the following criteria:
- Significance of need/problem
- Program’s potential for long-term success and sustainability
- Program’s resourcefulness
- Scale of project within the community or geographic region
- Innovation and creativity of the program
- Program’s ability to measure results
- Diversity, inclusion and financial soundness
If you do not receive a grant after applying we hope you understand that our decision is not a reflection on the merit of your program. Every year we receive numerous grant requests for funding from deserving organizations. Unfortunately, we received many more grant requests than we have the capacity to support and we must pick the most outstanding applications from that particular pool of candidates. Due to the number of requests, should you be declined, we are unable to provide specific reasons/comments. You are welcome to re-apply and be considered in the next funding pool.
Other Important Information
- Except when otherwise indicated, grants, of a minimum of $50,000 per year, are available to support the development and implementation of programs.
- Please note the Toyota USA Foundation only accepts applications online at the following link. No faxed/mailed/emailed applications will be accepted.
- Grant applications are accepted all year round however depending on when the Foundation receives the applications as well as the volume of applications, decisions are made as follows:
The Foundation will not:
- Award grants for endowments, capital campaigns, fund-raising events, construction and equipment (except as noted above where the equipment is as a component of an eligible program)
- Sponsor publication subsidies, advertising and mass mailings
- Fund lobbying organizations, political parties, labor organizations, fraternal groups and religious organizations
- Approve grants to individuals or groups for scholarships
- Make vehicle donations
- Sponsor sports teams
- Support non U.S.-based charities or organizations without 501(c)(3) status
Apply for a Grant
If your organization meets any of our geographic and funding missions as well as the general limitations, please use our online tool to apply for funding.
If you would like to resume an
application begun earlier on the tool: