How to Handle a Car Accident in a Rental Car
No matter how safely you may drive, car accidents can happen. But when you're in a rental car, there's
another layer of stress – after all, the car isn't yours but it is your responsibility. So what's a driver
to do when you're in an accident with a rental car?
- Seek medical attention and take care of any bodily injuries as quickly as possible.
- Contact the police and file an accident report.
- Exchange insurance, driver's license and personal contact information with the other parties involved.
- Gather witnesses, take pictures and/or film video and take notes about what happened at the scene.
- Contact your car rental agency.
- Contact your auto insurance company as soon as possible and let them know you've had an accident with a
- Contact the credit card company that you used to pay for the vehicle. If you purchased additional rental
insurance, provide that to your credit card company, as well.
Finally, if you do have a car accident in a rental car, stay as calm as possible and try not to worry. These
things happen and your credit card company, insurance agency and rental car agency should be prepared to
handle it quickly and efficiently.